Saturday, January 16, 2010

First Trimester Recap

4 weeks

10/30 - Positive HPT!!

My stomach has been gurgling and gurgling all the time. I find it pretty funny and sometimes it's quite loud and people notice.

11/4 - I wasn't going to get beta bloodwoork done but due to the fact I spontaneously miscarried with no known reason, I freaked myself out and thought I would never let myself get over miscarrying a second time if my progesterone level was low & I didn't find out in time. Good news though - bloodwork was awesome!! 17dpo my HCG was 1,741 and progesterone 22.5. Ceil, my nurse midwife, did not want repeat bloodwork.


5 weeks

11/11 - First prenatal appointment. Lots of paperwork and confirming my medical history. Ceil gave me a script for bloodwork & urinalysis and an early ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy was viable and in my uterus (last pregnancy was a possible ectopic in my left tube - but never confirmed). I went to the lab after my appointment and they drew 9 viles of blood! I was thankful for my $20 copay that day because the bloodwork & urinalysis cost the insurance $850+!!

5 or 6 weeks

Symptoms started to arrive - nausea being the primary offender. It wasn't for another week or two that I started vomitting too. The morning sickness continued right up until 12 or 13 weeks and even still I have it on occassion. As the morning sickness got stronger I began to eat less and less healthy because it was a matter of just getting anything down at that point. The kitchen and fridge were my biggest struggles because of my increased sense of smell. Almost every morning I was too sick to make Peter's lunch so he quit trying to waken me. I also had morning sickness in the evenings.


7 weeks

Eating felt like a chore this week! I was hungry all the time. I saw a TV commercial for onion rings and then I had to have some. So I picked up a bag of them from the store for girls night in with my sisters-in-law. Craving satisfied.

11/25 - My ultrasound was originally schedule for Black Friday, the due date of our first baby but got bumped up because the lab was closing early. We went in for 11am and I was excited and trying to chase my fears away with positive thoughts. The u/s tech put the wand on my belly and the baby popped up on the screen just like that - no searching! She took several measurements and the baby measured 3-5 days ahead so my due was moved to July 9. Crown to rump, the baby measured approximately 1.5cm and had a strong heartbeat of 178bpm! Peter later said the heartbeat looked like the flicker from "It's A Wonderful Life" when the angel is talking to God - only much faster. Here's baby's first sneak peek picture! The arrow points at the baby's head.



11/26 - Thanksgiving day!! We had lunch at noon at the Hollands' family. After we ate and were just hanging around I gathered everyone for a family photo since it had been years since the last one. The last picture I had Peter take and he said "1-2-3 Megan's pregnant!" and then snapped the picture. This is what we got...

Everyone is still smiling but not as brightly and you can tell on their faces they're thinking - Did I hear him right? I practically had to tell everyone again before it set in and they started giving us hugs and congratulations. Barbara teared up and several teased her for it, but she had lost 3 babies herself so I'm certain it brought back memories again.



We never did end up telling my family on Thansgiving because timing got messed up and we weren't all together at one time.

11/27 - My due date for "Bluberry" passed easily and quickly. Of course I was thinking about "Blueberry" a lot throughout the day, but having another little one growing inside certainly eased things. One child never replaces another though and "Blueberry" will always be our first child with a special place in our hearts. Mom & I shopped til we dropped - literally the next day we were both toast and slept most of the day.


8 weeks

12/2 - I had my first official prenatal appointment. It really was nothing more than an annual exam. Ouch! No one told me a pap smear would hurt when you're pregnant. Ceil said the reason why is because everything is so engorged with all of the extra blood flow. She quickly reviewed the results of my prenatal bloodwork that I had doen on 11/11 - everything looked great!


9 weeks
Oh how my hips ache!! Ouch!! Grocery shopping almost put me in tears with how much intense pain I had, primarily in the left.

My skin has also gotten extremely dry and scaly. I lather myself in coconut oil almost every morning & night.


10 weeks
12/11 - I am officially into the double digits!! I took my first official belly picture today so I caould have a starting point to watch my belly grow & grow.



Having a miscarriage makes you appreciate and celebrate the little milestones along the way. Double digits is the first goal I had set. However, nothing says "Congratulations! You made it!" like a week full of the worst morning sickness flare up I ever had... ugh.


11 weeks

Not much to report on this week... my achey, breaky hips and dry skin persist!


12 weeks

Christmas Day I turned 12 weeks and we finally told my family! We opened all of the Christmas gifts, and then I gave mom the last gift which was a birthday..now Christmas gift. It was a "Sneak Peak" photo frame with a copy of my early ultrasound photo in it. I teared up a little as she opened it. Mom said "Are you really?" with a big grin and the rest is history! We then had Christmas dinner next door with Papa & Nana. To tell Nana & Papa, Peter walked in with his "Daddy's Toolbelt" on that Emma had given him earlier that day.


Papa was a bit foggy mentally that day, but he did grasp that we were having a baby. After dinner I blabbed on and on to mom & dad about my pregnancy thus far.
12/28 - I had a prenatal appointment. The weather turned really snowy and yucky fast. Peter & I were on our way from his shoulder appointment when the Womens Care Center called and tried to cancel on me. Ceil was stuck in traffic in Rochester and Patty had a woman in labor getting ready to deliver. Bummed since this would be our first chance to hear the heartbeat, we decided to still stop and give it a shot since we had to pass through Batavia to get home anyways. We waited for over an hour before getting called and we were STARVING! haha Anyways, Patty came in and had a little bit of a hard time finding the baby's heartbeat - which made Peter & I uneasy and a bit frantic. Honest to goodness she has so little compassion because she didn't say anything to keep me calm while searching. Finally after a couple minutes, we heard that sweet sweet sound and seconds later she took the doppler away. Heartbeat measured in the 150s, my blood pressure was normal and I was down another pound. Not quite the happy happy joy joy appointment we were looking forward too, but still so sweet to know the little one was alive & well!


13 weeks

1/5 - 13 weeks, 4 days and this is the first day of my second trimester!! This was my second goal/milestone but really as joyful as I am, it hasn't sunk in in my mind.

My persistent dry skin is now feeling more hydrated thanks to an organic bath & lotion set my mom gave me on Christmas and it smells so wonderful like grapefruits! My hips are finally giving me some relief as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment