Friday, January 15, 2010

Papa

These two quick, recent stories of Papa warm my heart and I will never forget them.

This past Sunday we had visited and before leaving I wakened him when I gave him a kiss goodbye. So I talked to him for a minute and Nana came over to the other side of the bed. She asked if he knew who he was talking to and he said "Yeah, Caleb." Caleb is my cousin's little boy. Nana tried getting him to say my name again and finally I told him. He knew who I was but couldn't get the right name out. Anyways... then Nana says to him "And who am I?" I interjected and teased "That's the devil in person isn't it?!" His face lit up with this huge smile, his eyes squinted, and he laughed. He said her name was Lucy, short for Lucifer and then laughed again. We then of course praised Nana for all that she does! She is the best Nana and is a wonderful wife to Papa. If I never saw Papa this side of Heaven again, I was so happy walking away with those few moments of him smiling & laughing as my last memories. (((Annnddd now I'm crying again.)))

Last night we went and visited again. Peter and I were in the kitchen getting our dinner plates when he said "Help yourself Peter." Such a simple sentence, but he was alert and hadn't said something like this in months. Then Dad and I were talking about family that had visited the night before from Canada and Papa jumped into the conversation with a few things to say. It was almost strange having him be a part of the conversation since it had been again, seemingly months, since it had been more than you asking him questions and he answered. But it was really good to have him join in! Before leaving because he was so aware, Dad, Peter and I had prayer with him. Lord willing, we'll see him again this coming Sunday (1/17) for his 91st birthday.

I love my Papa. Mom & Dad have some big shoes to fill since they want to be Papa & Nana II to the grandkids.

2 comments:

  1. This was a touching post. I'm sure your parents will do a great job at being Papa & Nana II, they learned from the best =)

    ReplyDelete